[ Home ] [ Railway Electrical Systems ] [ Custom Products Gallery ] [ Railway HVAC Products ] [ HEP ] [ Wayside HEP Panels ]
Custom Railway PLC Controls
Phone: (503) 231-4808, Fax: (503) 230-0572, E-mail
See where our equipment is located on a typical passenger car
Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) are extremely common in a large number of industrial control systems. This includes railroad passenger cars, where they have been used for everything from destination sign controls to HVAC controls to data aquisition and management. To date, Northwest Rail Electric has constructed a number of systems incorporating PLCs. All of these have been constructed to the specifications of the customer to suit various needs. This flexibility and versatility is likely to make PLC based control systems continue to increase in popularity. These are a few examples of PLC based control systems that we have produced for various railroad passenger car applications.
Northwest Rail Electric NW-DD-DAQ-PLC records an extensive array of operating data on one of our customer's passenger cars, and reports it to the car shop computer system by wireless network when the car returns to the shop.
Features of Various Systems
Here is a list of some of the various features that have been incorporated into Northwest Rail Electric PLC systems over the years:
If you have an interest in a control system that is feature rich and with features beyond the standard control system a PLC based system is worth considering. Give us a call and let us know your needs.
- Control of HVAC Systems
- Control and Status Indication of Under-Car Generator
- Traction / Propulsion Controls and Related Auxiliary Systems (examples below and at right)
- Cooling Fan Speed and HVAC Blower Speed using Variable Frequency Drive and PLC
- Data Aquisition and Error Logging of HVAC System Operation
- Computer Network Connection from On-Car System to Car Shop Computer System using Shop Wireless Network
- Computer Network Connection from On-Car System to Remote Monitor by Cell Phone Modem Connection
- Custom Enclosures including viewing windows to allow viewing of System Status Indicators without opening the enclosure. The example pictured at the very top of this page illustrates this type of system: on the left is the system with the enclosure cover in place with compontent indicators visible through the window, and on the right is the same system with the enclosure cover removed. The example below has a hinged glass door.
- On-car controls have been built with switches, touch screen panels, and in some cases an industrial computer. In the example shown below an industrial was used for display and control functions with a custom designed rack mount system made by Northwest Rail Electric to make the touch screen, keyboard and mouse fit inside the car electric locker door.
Under normal circumstances this entire system is covered by the door panel, which blends in with the surrounding woodwork. This had yet to be installed when this photo was taken.
Other items in our Custom Products Area:
Custom Products Index
Recent Custom Products
Custom Passenger Car Locker Packages
Custom Control Systems
Custom Generator and Power Packages
Custom HVAC Units, Parts, and Systems
Custom Yard Power Packages
Passenger Car Services - sometimes we get involved in more than just providing electrical and air conditioning parts.
[ Custom Controls for Railways ] [ Railway Electrical Packages ] [ HEP Connectors ] [ Parts for Amtrak HEP ] [ Generators for HEP ] [ HEP Wayside Power ] [ Railway Heating and Air Conditioning ] [ DC Control Panels ]
[ Home ] [ List of Products and Services ] [ e-mail ]